[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Wed Jan 19 13:33:58 EST 2022

This suggestion follows the current discussion about using special
characters as data, which shows just how horrible DCL is when it
comes to using special characters as data in a command line.

How difficult would it be to alter DCL to add modern style quoting
of reserved characters ?

In bash, escaping a special character is simple - you just add a
backslash in front of the special character, so ' would become \'
instead. I think that's vastly better and cleaner than how it is
done in DCL.

What do you think ?

On another unrelated question, does anyone here use brace expansion
in bash and if so, how useful do you find it ? For example, typing:

	simon{1,2}.txt

as a filename argument would create a command line which replaced the
above with:

	simon1.txt simon2.txt

Would anyone find that useful for DCL ? I find it _very_ useful in bash.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP