[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG
Wed Jan 19 21:22:40 EST 2022

In article <61e85d4e$0$700$14726298 at news.sunsite.dk>, =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne at vajhoej.dk> writes:
>On 1/19/2022 1:33 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> This suggestion follows the current discussion about using special
>> characters as data, which shows just how horrible DCL is when it
>> comes to using special characters as data in a command line.
>>
>> How difficult would it be to alter DCL to add modern style quoting
>> of reserved characters ?
>>
>> In bash, escaping a special character is simple - you just add a
>> backslash in front of the special character, so ' would become \'
>> instead. I think that's vastly better and cleaner than how it is
>> done in DCL.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
>DCL is DCL and bash is bash.
>
>Generally making \ an escape character in DCL will break some
>existing code.
>
>And I am not too keen on SET DCL/ESC=ENABLE.
>
>Why not just say that those that need something more advanced than
>DCL use just that.

But, but, but, Simon has a hair up his ass for DCL and if those people
were to do what you've suggested, his daily DCL diatribes would mostly
be just the ravings of a unix lunatic -- not that they aren't already
just that.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG