[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:25:47 EST 2022

On 1/20/22 9:19 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/19/2022 9:37 PM, Chris Townley wrote:

>>> Very few VMS users work at the DCL prompt today.
>>>
>>> But I think a lot of VMS "users" are benefitting from
>>> scripts running on VMS.
>>>
>>> So good script capabilities does matter.
>>>
>>> But I don't think huge updates to DCL is the way forward
>>> for scripting.
>>>
>>> Existing DCL needs to continue to work as it has for 10-20-30-40 years.
>>>
>>> New stuff can be written in something else.
>>
>> It is not as if it is difficult to install various 'nix utilities. I
>> have quite a few, although I probably only use a a few of them - grep
>> being one of them
>
> *nix or general - bash and tools are obvious *nix

bash is Linux, not Unix.  Yet another case of NIH because there
were already shells available with all the features and abilities
of bash.

>                                                     but Perl
> and Python are not *nix specific.

Both were originally developed in the Unix environment.  Use in any
other environment is an afterthought.

> DCL is a good interactive command language and not as good
> a scripting language.
>
> If DEC 35 years ago had decided to enhance DCL to make
> it a great scripting language then it would have made sense:
> - DEC had money
> - bash/Perl/Python did not exist yet

Maybe not bash, but other shells which were ideal for both
interactive use and scripting were.

> - smaller DCL code base and the people that wrote the DCL were
>    still around
>
> But the world are different today:
> - VSI is a small company that need to prioritize resources
> - bash/Perl/Python exist, are maintained by other and all
>    the VMS world need to do is to make sure they also run on VMS
> - larger DCL code base and some places there may no longer be
>    the skills available to update if breaking changes are introduced

bill