[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 17:26:00 EST 2022

In article <61e98d23$0$696$14726298 at news.sunsite.dk>, arne at vajhoej.dk
(Arne Vajhøj) wrote:

> People seems to prefer bash over the other available shells.

Yup. My workplace standardised on bash in the early 1990s because we
could build and run it on OSF/1 (later Tru64), HP-UX, Solaris, AIX and
Irix. It was pretty consistent on all of those, more capable than the
Bourne shell, and could cope with a variety of terminal emulators. Since
then, we've used it on HP-UX IPF, macOS and lots of Linux distributions.

Apple changed the default shell from bash to zsh in macOS 10.15, but I
see no reason to go along with that: consistency between systems is far
more valuable to me than a few new features.

John