[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

Dave Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu Jan 20 18:46:04 EST 2022

On 1/20/2022 3:39 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/20/2022 3:34 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> On 1/20/22 3:31 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>> PS: In the original post Larry Wall also claimed to be inspired by
>>>      BASIC-PLUS, which did not run on Unix.
>>
>> I don't think it ran on VMS either.   :-)
>
> First when it became BASIC-Plus-2.

Strictly speaking, that never was.  The progression is:

Basic+ - interpreter
BP2 - compiled on RSX, RSTS, and VAX
VAX Basic - compiled with immediate mode
DEC Basic - on Alpha, no immediate mode
Compaq Basic - renamed
HP Basic - ported to itanic
VSI Basic

But really mostly the same language.

I'm not willing to do the testing,  but, I'm betting a Basic+ program would run
with no changes on VSI Basic.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      E-Mail: davef at tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA  15486