[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Jan 22 03:37:34 EST 2022

On 2022-01-22 01:09, Dave Froble wrote:
> On 1/21/2022 5:13 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>> This is before my time, so I don't know anything about.
>>>
>>> Should such a .BAC file contain native PDP-11 code (like
>>> a VMS EXE file) or does it contain some binary version
>>> of the source code (like Python .pyc or Java .class)?
>>
>> BASIC+ just compiled to tokens. So it wasn't really "compiled".
>> But I could thing that various string handling in Perl could have been
>> inspired
>> by BASIC+.
>>
>> BASIC+2 was a bit more properly compiled. But it can also run in
>> interactive mode.
>>
>>   Johnny
>
> That's not what I remember, but, I've tried very hard to forget.
>
> With BP2, one compiled to object modules, then (gasp) there was the
> dreaded <<<TKB>>> ...
>
> I'll admit to learning much from overlays, but, it was still torture ..

.set /host
Host=MIM RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6  BL87mP
.bp2

PDP-11 BASIC-PLUS-2 V2.7-C

BASIC2

print ert$(i) for i=1 to 10

?Bad directory for device
?Illegal file name
?Account or device in use
?No room for user on device
?Can't find file or account
?Not a valid device
?I/O channel already open
?Device not available
?I/O channel not open
?Protection violation

BASIC2

show
PDP-11 BASIC-PLUS-2 V2.7-C  using FPU with  run support
ENVIRONMENT INFORMATION:             RMS FILE ORGANIZATION:
     Current edit line : 0               NO Index
     NO Modules loaded                   NO Relative
     NO Main module loaded               NO Sequential
                                         NO Virtual
DEFAULT DATA TYPE INFORMATION:       LISTING FILE INFORMATION:
     Data type : REAL                    NO Source
     Real size : SINGLE                  NO Cross Reference
     Integer size : WORD                 NO Keywords
     Scale factor : 0                       60 lines by 132 columns
COMPILATION QUALIFIERS:              BUILD QUALIFIERS:
        Object                           NO Dump
     NO Macro                            NO Map
        Lines                            NO Cluster
        Warnings                            I- and D-Space
     NO Debug records                    Task extend  : 512
     NO Syntax checking                  RMS ODL file : LB:[1,1]RMS11X
     Flag : Declining                    BP2 Disk lib : LB:[1,1]BP2OTS
     Variant : 0                         BP2 Resident lib : NONE
                                         RMS Resident lib : NONE

BASIC2

Interactive and run support was optional. You are able to choose whether
to include that or not when you do the installation.
Maybe wherever you was using it, they had not included it then?

   Johnny