[Info-vax] Suggestion: Enhance DCL to support proper escape quoting.

VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG
Tue Jan 25 08:08:45 EST 2022

In article <ssonkm$cn7$1 at dont-email.me>, =?UTF-8?Q?Jan-Erik_S=c3=b6derholm?= <jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com> writes:
>Den 2022-01-25 kl. 11:36, skrev Henry Crun:
>> On 25/01/2022 11:35, gah4 wrote:
>>> On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 4:51:45 AM UTC-8, VAXman- wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip, I wrote)

>>> As I remember it, there are some places where you need triple quotes,
>>> in place of regular quotes.   I believe it is related to symbols and
>>> logical names.
>>>

>> IIRC if a DCL command file bulds and writes a (sub-)command file that
>> handles symbols, there is use for more than three double-quotes. (do I
>> remember groups of six?)
>>

>Sure, if you need them. No problem to find examples. This is from the
>Oracle Rdb "Bugcheck dump summarizer":
>

>$      if error_area_name .nes. ""
>$       then
>$        call get_more_details -
>               """Storage area """"''error_area_name'""""""/exact" 0 8
>$       endif

Passing a quoted string with a "quoted" string embedded in it.  How's this any
different in a command file from the command line, other than that you can not
pass it to the subroutine?

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG