[Info-vax] Suggestion: Adding a /SORT option to DIRECTORY and F$SEARCH ?

Dave Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu Jan 27 14:02:16 EST 2022

On 1/27/2022 11:59 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/27/2022 11:25 AM, John Reagan wrote:

>>> Nah, today's users want the vendor to do all the work ...
>>> Why C, when there are better languages?
>>
>> If you are about to use the B-word, better is relative.
>
> Obviously.
>
> But not everybody is in love with C.
>
> Personally I consider C a fine language for OS kernel development
> but not so great a language for more regular applications. And
> DIR is really an application.
>
> I am not good at VMS Basic, so I would prefer VMS Pascal.
>
> :-)
>
>> And if there was such an important tool in BASIC, would have needed
>> Macro, C, BLISS AND BASIC compilers (and their nightmare RTLs) in the
>> development path.  I don't want another critical, proprietary tool in
>> the system.
> Is that current VSI policy: VMS build should only depend on Macro-32,
> Macro-native, Bliss and C?

How I read it is that John doesn't like anything in that list.  But perhaps my
reading comprehension is lacking.  Would not be the first time.

:-)

I believe that the VSI policy is to use only the custom version of C they have
for all new VMS work.  I also agree with this concept, regardless of my feelings
about C.  VSI needs things to be as simple as possible.

Macro-32 and Bliss already exist, no sense in re-implementing the wheel, or that
code, as long as it works.  But I've seen multiple references to VSI re-writing
parts of VMS in C where continuing to use the MAcro-32 and Bliss becomes an issue.

I agree with that policy.  Anything outside what VSI provides is better in a
DECUS library or FreeWare library.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      E-Mail: davef at tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA  15486