[Info-vax] WASD demo issues

Mark Daniel mark.daniel at wasd.vsm.com.au
Fri Jan 28 07:03:51 EST 2022

On 28/1/22 8:46 pm, issinoho wrote:
> On Friday, 28 January 2022 at 10:10:20 UTC, issinoho wrote:
8< snip 8<
> WATCHER is excellent - what a superb diagnostic tool.

It is.  I sometimes think it sets WASD apart.  [Of course, parent's
opinion of child.]

> One question: after authorizing with, "HTTPD /DO=AUTH=SKELKEY=_username:password" this works; however obviously times out after a period at which point the page URL returns a 403. What is the recommended way to get WATCHER going again after this? Resubmitting the skeleton key doesn't seem to work - the only way I've found is to restart the web service. Any pointers would be appreciated - thanks.

Resetting the skeleton key

$ HTTPD /DO=AUTH=SKELKEY=0

and them re-establishing the key should work.

You can add a timeout period to the

$ HTTPD/DO=AUTH=SKELKEY=_username:password:<hours>

so

$ HTTPD//DO=AUTH=SKELKEY=_username:password:168

should set it for a (maximum) of seven days.  Conversely

$ HTTPD//DO=AUTH=SKELKEY=0

resets (disables) the skeleton key.

https://wasd.vsm.com.au/wasd_root/wasdoc/features/features003.html#skeletonkeyauthentication

(wrap likely)

Skeleton key access is an ad hoc / emergency mechanism.  It is far
better to make it a permanent feature of the configuration.
Unfortunately, usually involving VMS authentication, any WASD site will
tell you this is a (deliberately) non-trivial undertaking.

https://wasd.vsm.com.au/wasd_root/wasdoc/features/features003.html

--
Anyone, who using social-media, forms an opinion regarding anything
other than the relative cuteness of this or that puppy-dog, needs