[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

John Reagan xyzzy1959 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:35:48 EST 2022

On Friday, January 28, 2022 at 4:06:32 AM UTC-5, cao... at pitbulluk.org wrote:
> On Friday, January 28, 2022 at 6:29:10 AM UTC, Steven Schweda wrote:
> > > Which I do not consider exotic.
> > Sure, fine, but look at the results from the current blend of (what
> > are, I assume) defaults. Whether or not better results are so "easy",
> > the existing situation (mess) is the existing situation (mess).
> >
> > As I said, "unrealistic". That was an inference, not a postulate.
> Aren't C/C++ the only VMS languages capable of using the full 64 bit address space?
> Perhaps some others are (partially) capable but it doesn't look at all convenient.
> Pascal has IADDRESS64 in addition to IADDRESS but why bother to call a _64 system service when you can't really do much else with it?

Pascal should allow full use of 64-bit addresses.  You can put the [QUAD] attribute on a pointer (or pointer type).  It will be a 64-bit pointer.  Calling NEW for it will call LIB$GET_VM_64 and give you 64-bit memory.

What Pascal doesn't do is know how to build 64-bit descriptors.  It was on my list.