[Info-vax] The global bug bounty marketplace

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 10:46:00 EST 2022

In article <61e9769b$0$702$14726298 at news.sunsite.dk>, arne at vajhoej.dk
(Arne Vajhøj) wrote:

> It may not work fine if some young IT guy decide to
> not get a day job but try and live of bug bounties.
> That is not stable income. And very likely it will be
> too low income.

The things that seem to be encouraging people to try to make a living
from it are:

- "Bug bounty platforms" which are web platforms that run bug bounty
schemes for many, many software producers, and have "social network"
features like reputation schemes. A lot of people want to be Facebook
these days, and Facebook's exploitative attitudes seem to come along with
that.

- The general promotion of the "gig economy" to the young, as a method of
reconciling all the demands on them via extremely flexible working, with
no security of any kind. comp.os.vms readers are mostly aged 50+, so we
don't see much of this. I deduce from the behaviour I observe that
consumer IT is being promoted as a route to freedom and independence,
when the reality is more like serfdom.

The report, now that I've read it through, seems to be intended to warn
of these things, but the writing is so slow-paced and lacking in impact
that the people who need to be aware of it will never read it.

John