[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Sun Jan 30 13:13:07 EST 2022

Bill Gunshannon  <bill.gunshannon at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 1/29/22 19:26, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> Pascal is pretty limited but makes it hard to shoot yourself in the foot.
>> And most implementations don't use null-terminated strings which are the
>> most serious source of vulnerabilities in C code.
>
>Isn't it time to drop this red herring.  C was not the only and
>probably not the first to use null terminated strings.  If anyone
>really cared it could have been fixed ages ago (it actually was
>in Safe C and we see how much acceptance that got!!)

It is in no way a red herring.

It's true that C was not the only and not the first language to use
null terminated strings.

And it's true that if anyone really cared it could have been fixed
ages ago.

But the fact that people don't care is alarming.  Because the bugs
just keep coming and coming.
--scott