[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 22:04:55 EST 2022

On 1/30/22 19:49, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/30/2022 7:20 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2022-01-29, Arne Vajhøj <arne at vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>>> And it is not just me.
>>>
>>> The rust people are rewriting GNU Coreutils (C) in
>>> rust.
>>>
>>> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Rust-Coreutils-Jan-2022
>>>

>> Let me know when the Rust compiler runs on all the architectures
>> that Linux runs on. :-)
>
> They are missing some.
>
> Rust supports x86, x86-64, ARM, MIPS, PPC, RISC-V and mainframe.
>
> So they are missing Alpha, PA, Itanium, SPARC and several
> lesser ones.
>
> But who actually runs Linux on one of those?

I still run it on a SPARC.  If I still had an Alpha I would
probably be running it n that, too.  I never have and never
will own an Itanium.  But I do still work on a 6809 running
OS-9.  I doubt it will ever show up there.  And then there
are my PDP-11's and VAXen.  :-)  Linux isn't the best thing
since sliced bread no matter how many architectures it runs
on.

bill