[Info-vax] DEC Basic and dynamic memory ?

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 31 08:26:40 EST 2022

On 2022-01-30, Dave Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> On 1/30/2022 6:45 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2022-01-28, seasoned_geek <roland at logikalsolutions.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, you don't like it as a doubly linked list?
>>>
>>> RECORD SOME_RECORD
>>> STRING IN_USE=1%
>>> STRING SOME_KEY_VALUE=15%
>>> INTEGER  LEFT_NODE
>>> INTEGER  RIGHT_NODE
>>> INTEGER  PARENT_NODE
>>> STRING    WHOLE_LOT_OF_STUFF=255%
>>> ! other fields
>>> END RECORD
>>>
>>> You can even redimension if need be.
>>
>> If _that's_ how you do a tree in DEC Basic, then yuck, yuck, yuck!!!
>
> Are you trying to show some bias?

No. Given Arne's original comments, I approached this with an open mind,
but I have been left seriously unimpressed with how you appear to have
to build a tree structure in Basic.

> Some people show you some very simple uses of the RECORD statement, and because
> they are not fleshed out, you don't see the use.  Hey, i do this for
> compensation, cough up some money and I'll write any application you want in Basic.

It's not the record. It's how you have to link them together in a linear
backing structure. That would be like trying to create a tree structure
using a Vector as the backing structure in some other programming languages.

> Basically (sic) the RECORD statement is a method of defining structures, and it
> can be very flexible.  Also understandable.  Can you say that about C?

Yes you can, both for C and especially Pascal.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP