[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 31 08:42:13 EST 2022

On 2022-01-31, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> In article <ssurv4$nm1$1 at dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
><clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>
>> Fortran and COBOL are not suitable for writing operating system userland
>> tools.
>
> Why not?

For the same reason that OS designers moved from Fortran to C as the
system implementation language when C became available. C is simply
a better language than Fortran for those kinds of tasks.

As for COBOL, I invite you to try implementing something like CDU or
especially TPU in it. :-)

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP