[Info-vax] DEC Basic and dynamic memory ?

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 31 08:48:19 EST 2022

On 2022-01-30, Dave Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote:
> On 1/30/2022 7:14 PM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>>>
>>> That is common practice in many languages for dynamic
>>> sized data structures needing linear backing.
>>>

>> But elsewhere you have the choice of whether to use something
>> like a Vector or if you need to build a tree structure yourself.
>>
>> Specifying the growth increment of a linear structure is also
>> a tradeoff but you are not forced to use a linear structure if
>> you can build real trees and that's a better choice.
>>
>> Simon.
>>

> Where do you come up with the idea that in Basic the nodes in a tree must be
> linear?  They rarely are.  There usually are forward and backward pointers in a
> linked list / tree.  Logically linear, but not physically linear.

Read again David. Arne and I am talking about the backing storage
required by DEC Basic being linear.

> You're not appearing very knowledgeable Simon.

I've done this kind of thing quite a few times. There's a reason
why I chose this example to see how it would be implemented in DEC Basic.

So yes, I know exactly what I am talking about.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP