[Info-vax] Suggestion: Adding a /SORT option to DIRECTORY and F$SEARCH ?

Arne Vajhøj arne at vajhoej.dk
Mon Jan 31 11:44:14 EST 2022

On 1/31/2022 11:26 AM, Dave Froble wrote:
> On 1/31/2022 9:58 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On 1/31/2022 7:17 AM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>>>        PROGRAM SDIR
>>
>> Fortran
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> But try and compare number of lines with the Python code.
>
> No, try and compare actual code to perform the task.  Python has
> libraries of extensive code to perform selected tasks.  Just because
> invoking those library routines appears to be simple doesn't make the
> actual code small.  Usually when generic code attempts to perform a
> task, the code size will be larger than task specific code.
>
> There ain't no magic.  You just don't see it.

It is true that there are two separate reasons behind
the difference:
- Python using less lines than Fortran for processing
- Python having a more powerful RTL than Fortran

But I would not discard the second point.

It is not something the user has to write. It not something VMS
specific. It is not something special that only make sense for
one specific use case.

Having a powerful RTL is a benefit of the language.

Which is why newer languages tend to have crazy huge
RTL's.

Arne

PS: The posted code does not seem to be complete. It seems
     to rely on some library.  :-)