[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 31 14:05:15 EST 2022

On 2022-01-31, Arne Vajhøj <arne at vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> On 1/31/2022 9:02 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2022-01-31, Arne Vajhøj <arne at vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>>> I would run Solaris on SPARC and I do run VMS on Alpha
>>> and keep Linux on x86-64. Are there any benefits
>>> from running Linux on a less common platform?
>>
>> One of the reasons Linux has taken off is that you can run it on
>> pretty much every single thing that is physically capable of hosting
>> it in terms of CPU power and memory/other resources.
>
> Is it?
>
> To me it seems that the industry impact of Linux is very much
> centered around x86-64 servers and ARM Android devices.
>
> Look at what Redhat and other actually support. There is a
> reason for that.
>
> Raspberry Pi is fun but it is not a B$ thing.

Your lack of imagination is showing, Arne. :-)

What you have listed above is just a very small section of the
Linux world. Some examples:

Linux in communications devices (routers, etc).

Linux in embedded devices in general (huge section, usage numbers wise).

Consumer distributions of Linux that people use in a home environment.

Linux kernel in phones.

Linux in teaching and research environments in general.

That last one is important for long-term growth. Why do you think DEC
and others in the old days fought so hard to get their equipment into
universities ?

It's because they turned out people familiar with the vendor's equipment
and comfortable with using it and recommending it in the workplace.
That Raspberry Pi and other things that you seem dismissive of are
part of a long-term movement that make people comfortable with using
Linux and recommending it for use elsewhere.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP