[Info-vax] Userland programming languages on VMS.

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:26:04 EST 2022

On 1/31/22 19:04, Dave Froble wrote:
> On 1/31/2022 3:26 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

>>> What about a "jack of all trades" that can do any job?
>>
>> Like choosing the wrong language for a task a "jack of all trades"
>> is famous for doing everything, but none of the tasks well.  It is
>> not a compliment to be called one.
>
> Why do you ass-u-me that just because a language is versatile, that it
> cannot do things well?  Do you have examples?  Any real facts?  Or just
> bullshit?

I don't assume it.  At one time, when languages were more domain
specific, it was a known factor of program development.  There was
a reason why when I started in this business my title was not just
Programmer but Programmer/System Analyst.  One would have hoped
that the formalization of "Software Engineering" would have kept
the idea in vogue, but, alas, no.

bill