[Info-vax] primary and secondary page and swap files, AUTOGEN, SHOW MEMORY/FILES

Kerry Main kerry.main at backtothefutureit.com
Thu Jan 1 10:35:04 EST 2015

The HW vendors have progressed exponentially faster than the
computing needs of most customers - on all platforms.

I agree with Hoff that HP (and other vendors selling such big iron)
is in for a very tough time selling monster boxes in the future.

Key points:
- Solaris, AIX, HP-UX workloads are migrating to commodity OS's,
so there is a reluctance to spend big $'s (6,7 digits) on "non-strategic"
platforms.
- Most X64 HW is now NUMA based which causes all sorts of OS
scaling challenges wrt to resource and process scheduling on local
vs remote memory. Just because an OS states it "supports" large
numbers of cores does not mean Applications will scale in a way
that meets expectations. An OS vendor can simply blame the
poor  NUMA / large core scaling on Application design and walk
away.
- Solutions focus requires DR review, hence if a company buys a
monster core box, then they really need 2 monster boxes for even
basic DR which then doubles the HW/SW costs.
- commodity OS's favour scale out strategies - not scale up. This
Is partially due to their culture of one Bus App per OS instance,
technical challenges associated with App stacking on the
same OS instance and the simple fact that most ISV's have no idea
of how to structure their App to take advantage of large numbers
of cores based on NUMA designs.
- Licensing challenges with monster boxes associated with key
vendors like Microsoft SQL and Oracle DB's make licensing costs
ridiculous (all cores need to be licensed even if only a small subset
used for DB)
- Likely 75% of most Cust's today upgrade not because of lack of
performance, but rather for improved HW/SW support and
maint cost reductions. Of the remaining 25%, most requirements
would easily be met with less than 32 cores (possibly dual boxes
for high availability). A small subset of something like 5% need
and/or can effectively scale to greater than 32 cores.

Summary - A small number of OpenVMS Custs might take advantage
of greater than 64 cores because OpenVMS Custs has been App
stacking forever and have dealt with NUMA since early Alpha days.

However, similar to big Alpha boxes, what will likely happen is that
these monster core boxes will include HW partitioning (LPARS, NPAR)
with very fast interconnects. This would provide capabilities to then
cluster these partitions together with added OpenVMS Galaxy type
functionality e.g. shared memory between OS's and dynamic
migration of CPU's between OS partitions based on business rules.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Back to the Future IT Inc.
 .. Learning from the past to plan the future

Kerry dot main at backtothefutureit dot com