[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Fri Jan 2 08:48:47 EST 2015

On 2015-01-02 00:42:33 +0000, David Froble said:

> While I don't know much about these things, I do wonder whether the
> issues include changing the access.  I'd guess most users have the URL
> saved somewhere.  If the entity was hosted elsewhere, might not the
> access change, and then change again when the entity is up and running
> in Bolton?
>
> I really don't know what's involved in changing such access, and what
> gremlins pop up when doing such.

You'd need a business-class ISP service, a public static IP address for
the Eisner server, and updates to the DNS configuration to resolve to
the new IP address.   You'd want a firewall with decent access controls
and DMZ capabilities, and I can get a good small-company-sized VPN- and
DMZ-capable dual-uplink firewall box delivered in a couple of days and
for not much money.

I'd thus wonder if VSI is having trouble getting enough IPv4 static
addresses for their needs, or getting or maintaining an ISP connection,
or are simply short on staffing for all of the work they have and
(quite reasonably) prioritizing things, or a combination of these;
these would be the most intractable issues that might arise here, as
most everything else can be worked around in an afternoon or two, with
some basic and simple IP plumbing and enough power sockets and a credit
card.

The folks at VSI are smart and capable, so I have to infer there's
something rather more involved or intractable that they're working
through.

As I've mentioned up-thread, hopefully VSI gets better at external
communications, but sooner or later, we'll know more about what's going
on with Eisner...