[Info-vax] Kittson question

Kerry Main kerry.main at backtothefutureit.com
Fri Jan 2 15:01:12 EST 2015

Agree maint cost savings can be significant. Course, this assumes
they are still paying maint. contracts.

This is no different from any other platform i.e. maint contracts of old
systems is always expensive. The challenge with older DEC/Compaq
HW is that they were designed to last and they do. Hence, Cust's
often drop the maint contracts on HW they have not had any issues
with for a long time.

They may stock pile drives etc off the grey market to address the
occasional drive issue.

Virtualization onto commodity OS platforms certainly has some
benefits, but all too often the financials (incl all up front HW/SW
& associated (expensive) licensing, support costs + risk of having
an additional support vendor in the mix and security patching of
hosts) is not as good as it is often made out.

Course, each Cust needs to make their own decision.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Back to the Future IT Inc.
 .. Learning from the past to plan the future

Kerry dot main at backtothefutureit dot com