[Info-vax] Kittson question

Stanley F. Quayle infovax at stanq.com
Mon Jan 5 10:00:50 EST 2015

On Sun, 2015-01-04 at 06:10 -0500, JF Mezei via Info-vax wrote:
> is this not an indication that the customer no longer has in-house VMS
> maintenance expertise and prefers to pay you more to mimic the
> environment so no changes need to
> be made ?

Sadly, yes. Increasingly, the "VMS person" has other roles, such as
Windows administration. Their VMS knowledge may be so limited that they
can only follow existing procedures.

I have customers that decide not to virtualize, but still need some VMS
support. I provide that unless they need 24x7 support, which I cannot
support as a two-person shop.

> In a situation where someone setting up a new VMS box on that new
> architecture I can't name, wouldn't that imply an active VMS site with
> in-house expertise who would be able to move their last VAX apps onto
> any emulated instance and change device/disk names if needed ?

Nope, as above.

> Wouldn't a generic VAX emulation based on one of the last VAX models
> be more than enough since anyone setting it up will have the knowledge
> to tailor their VAX-VMS apps ?

Not if they're locked into a specific version of VMS that might not run
on the last VMS processor. For knowledge, as above.