[Info-vax] Databases, LDAP and the limitations of RMS-file-based authentication

John Reagan xyzzy1959 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 14:02:26 EST 2015

On Monday, January 5, 2015 10:31:00 AM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> While I think Pascal is great and still use it a lot (and love playng with
> Pascal Compilers) it is yet another example of a language that was tasked
> with doing things it was not deisigned for (kinda like C :-).  Maybe Pascal
> users should actually be using Modula.

In general, that is probably true.  On OpenVMS, the Pascal compiler has a consider amount of additional features.  Some are extensions to deal with things like descriptors, calling system routines, interface/implementation parts etc and some come from the 1989 Extended Pascal standard (which used many features from Modula, Eiffel, etc.) like type & variable initializers and run-time sized types (we didn't do the EP version of interface/implementation since our environment files serve almost the same purpose - we didn't add complex numbers either)

There are many Pascal users on OpenVMS with HUGE amounts of Pascal code.  I was just trying to let them know that I haven't forgotten them (they still send me email).