[Info-vax] Databases, LDAP and the limitations of RMS-file-based authentication

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Mon Jan 5 17:37:05 EST 2015

John Reagan skrev den 2015-01-05 20:02:
> On Monday, January 5, 2015 10:31:00 AM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>

>> While I think Pascal is great and still use it a lot (and love playng
>> with Pascal Compilers) it is yet another example of a language that
>> was tasked with doing things it was not deisigned for (kinda like C
>> :-).  Maybe Pascal users should actually be using Modula.
>>

> In general, that is probably true.  On OpenVMS, the Pascal compiler has
> a consider amount of additional features.  Some are extensions to deal
> with things like descriptors, calling system routines,
> interface/implementation parts etc and some come from the 1989 Extended
> Pascal standard (which used many features from Modula, Eiffel, etc.)
> like type & variable initializers and run-time sized types (we didn't do
> the EP version of interface/implementation since our environment files
> serve almost the same purpose - we didn't add complex numbers either)
>
> There are many Pascal users on OpenVMS with HUGE amounts of Pascal code.
> I was just trying to let them know that I haven't forgotten them (they
> still send me email).

The well known (?) mail automation tool DELIVER (comes
from PDMF) is/was written in Pascal.

Ned Freed (Innosoft), Kevin Carosso, Sheldon Smith,
Dick Munroe, Doyle (Munroe Consultants) and
Wayne Sewell (Tachyon Software Consulting)
are names mentioned in the DELIVER.PAS file.
Last update (of my version) was in -94.

I have used that for 25 years, something.
Nice tool...

Jan-Erik.