[Info-vax] Decuserve.org - Anyone know why it's down?

Bill Gunshannon bill at server3.cs.scranton.edu
Tue Jan 6 08:07:09 EST 2015

In article <m8frdv$9ao$1 at dont-email.me>,
	David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> In article <m83plk$1uc$1 at dont-email.me>,

>>> And don't forget hoffmanlabs.com bouncing on and off the internet due to
>>> ISP problems. It seems that getting a reliable internet connection in
>>> certain parts of the eastern US is quite difficult.
>>
>> Ha!!!  What do you people know.  I just moved into a new house.  I am
>> a mere 17 miles from downtown Scranton, PA. 6th largest city in PA by
>> population.  Guess what.....  No Internet.  Zilch.  Zero. Nada.  And
>> none available in the forseeable future.  And your concerned about how
>> reliable your ISP is!!!
>>
>> Hmmmm...   Maybe this is just God's way of telling me to give up computers
>> and retire.
>>
>> bill
>>

> Welcome to the "middle of nowhere" ...
>
> Of course, Verizon didn't make a deal with the state to guarantee high
> speed internet to everywhere in the state, in order to retain some
> monopoly privs.  Oh, wait, yes they did.  No problem, a few campaign
> contributions will take care of that.

You missed a major point.  You live in the middle of nowhere.  I live
within walking distance (well, a long walk) to the 6th largets city in
PA.  And if you take the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Metro area as one large
city (as do most people here and in Harrisburg) it becomes the 3rd
largest metro area.  Not having Internet is unimaginable.  And you can
blame Verizon all you want.  There are two other phone companies here
and a cable company within 3 miles (a trivial distance for modern cable
systems) and none of them offer service here.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |