[Info-vax] Kittson question

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Wed Jan 7 18:26:37 EST 2015

On 15-01-07 10:07, cmexec at gmail.com wrote:

> A good example:  the VAX 11/780 privileged register set has a TOY (time of
> year) register.  The MV II does not, it emulates the TOY register in software.

Of one look only at single processor VAX models that came out after the
MV II, would it be fair to state that they were fairly standard without
"odd" features that MV II had ?

If I recall properly, 5.5-2 was first to support HBVS, and that would
have been circa 1992.

1990  4000-300
1991  4000-200 and 500
1992 4000-100 and 400 and 600
1993 4000-100A and 500A and 600A, and 700A

there were a series of other models in the 4000 range till 1996
So it looks to me like 5.5-2 would have support for the early 4000
machines. WOuld later 4000s have big differences in how the OS interacts
with the hardware ?

If the emulator implements a 4000-108 (last model, circa 1996), but
pretends to be a 4000-300, would VMS 5.5-2 boot on it ?

Another way to ask question: when VMS loads on a variety of VAX boxes
that came after 1992, are there significant differences that SRM does
not describe and that VMS must assume is based solely on model number ?

In the case of the MV-II's TOY close example (and the loading of
different math libraries is SYSTARTUP.COM), I assume that this was based
solely on the hardcoded model number and not something VMS would find
out from SRM, correct ?

After the MV-II, were there similar differences that VMS had to deal
with based solely on model number or was there a standard base, with
model variations fully described by SRM ?