[Info-vax] Kittson question

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Thu Jan 8 03:48:43 EST 2015

On 2015-01-08, abrsvc <dansabrservices at yahoo.com> wrote:

> HBVS started out as a software services project out of the Washington
> DC office.  It was initially available as a special kit that was later
> incorporated into VMS and supported by VMS Engineering.  One of the
> original developers from that office (and perhaps more, I don't
> recall) joined VMS Engineering in Nashua.

According to the V8.4 Shadowing manual:

"Prior to OpenVMS Version 6.2, two forms of volume shadowing were
supported: host-based, also known as phase II shadowing, and
controller-based, also known as phase I shadowing. Starting with OpenVMS
Version 6.2, controller-based shadowing is discontinued --- Volume
Shadowing for OpenVMS is host based only. Consequently, the term Phase
II is no longer used in this manual."

Hmm, my memory says that I read similar in the V5.4 era, but maybe my
memory is wrong.  Whatever, does anyone have more details on why Phase
I was discontinued?

--
"Machines take me by surprise with great frequency." - Alan Turing