[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

Mack Altman III mack.altmaniii at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:19:59 EST 2015

You are right I was short of details.

OpenVMS v8.4
Cache 2010

That said, the issue is dealing with Cache 2007 having changed theirs %Stream requirements for OpenVMS to expect the file being read into the stream as a STREAM type, where it was not required prior.

In regards to file types, record formatting and the current age we are in, is it regular in the OpenVMS world to go through the "guessing game" (if you will) in trying to understand the structure of a file. I ask as this goes on every time we have a new client give us a file, and personally, it's exhausting. At the very least, it seems illogical.

Does VMS have the capability to have an FTP user transmit a file, while on the backend restrict any file created by said user to a certain format? If so, could this be achieved without communicating the change to the FTP user?