[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Wed Jan 14 19:09:18 EST 2015

Mack Altman III skrev den 2015-01-15 00:19:
> You are right I was short of details.
>
> OpenVMS v8.4 Cache 2010
>
> That said, the issue is dealing with Cache 2007 having changed theirs
> %Stream requirements for OpenVMS to expect the file being read into the
> stream as a STREAM type, where it was not required prior.
>
> In regards to file types, record formatting and the current age we are
> in, is it regular in the OpenVMS world to go through the "guessing game"
> (if you will) in trying to understand the structure of a file. I ask as
> this goes on every time we have a new client give us a file, and
> personally, it's exhausting. At the very least, it seems illogical.
>
> Does VMS have the capability to have an FTP user transmit a file, while
> on the backend restrict any file created by said user to a certain
> format? If so, could this be achieved without communicating the change
> to the FTP user?

If you have a known good format on the source system that you have
agreed on, you can ZIP it and then transfer the ZIP file in "binary".
When unzipping on the target VMS system, you will have better chance
of recreating the original file format.

More then that is hard to say without knowing what the actual
problems are that you are seeing.

Jan-Erik.