[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

abrsvc dansabrservices at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 06:34:43 EST 2015

I would take a different approach here.  Rather than using a file transfer (since you have no definition of the record format), why not try socket connections or some other direct connection to these source sites?  Or perhaps even simpler, if file transfers are required, use different target locations for each site that "knows" the format for that site.

I have created numerous accounts for file transfers that are captive accounts for this type of transfer.  For example:  Use account FTPIDX for "indexed" files.  When a file arrives into that directory, you know that you need to convert it prior to inclusion into CACHE.  Set up a batch job to look in the directory for files and "convert" them into the directory that CACHE is viewing.  Set up similar accounts for other sources of files.  In this fashion the "batch" job can scan these directories too and apply the correct convert options.  This introduces another layer into the file transfer, but will address the issues you mention.

Please note that I am assuming that each source site sends files in the same format each time.  From your brief description, I believe the problem is a single target directory with multiple sources coupled with multiple formats.

Dan