[Info-vax] Streaming a File on OpenVMS with Caché

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu Jan 15 17:16:08 EST 2015

abrsvc wrote:
> I would take a different approach here.  Rather than using a file
> transfer (since you have no definition of the record format), why not
> try socket connections or some other direct connection to these
> source sites?  Or perhaps even simpler, if file transfers are
> required, use different target locations for each site that "knows"
> the format for that site.

The OP talks about unsophisticated users, and you mention sockets.

:-)  :-)  :-)

Not that I disagree with the concept.  With sockets you transfer data,
not files, and if the format of the data is known it can be
appropriately processed.  I'm a big fan of socket communications.

> I have created numerous accounts for file transfers that are captive
> accounts for this type of transfer.  For example:  Use account FTPIDX
> for "indexed" files.  When a file arrives into that directory, you
> know that you need to convert it prior to inclusion into CACHE.  Set
> up a batch job to look in the directory for files and "convert" them
> into the directory that CACHE is viewing.  Set up similar accounts
> for other sources of files.  In this fashion the "batch" job can scan
> these directories too and apply the correct convert options.  This
> introduces another layer into the file transfer, but will address the
> issues you mention.

Well, yeah, lumping all transfers from many different trading partners
is a poor idea.  Anarchy comes to mind.