[Info-vax] 64 bit DCL ?

JF Mezei jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca
Sun Jan 18 12:11:54 EST 2015

On 15-01-18 08:44, dodecahedron99 at gmail.com wrote:

> My vote would be to spend the time and effort into Python.

When VMS came out, one of its biggest advantages over other operating
systems, in particular the IBM ones was that DCL was standard for
interactive, scripting and batch, whereas IBM had different ones for
interactive, batch and TSO scripts (and then there were the VM/CMS ones
as well).

I see Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby and so many others as the "soupe du jour"
that are not long term in popularity.  Great for applications, not sure
if they shoudl be core of a long term operating system, especially if
they are not usable in all modes, command line, scripting, batch. (and I
guess as subprocesses of a web server).

I personally have nothing against DCL.  My questions have more to do
with how DCl is tied to VMS and vice versa.