[Info-vax] 64 bit DCL ?

cmexec at gmail.com cmexec at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 09:01:40 EST 2015

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 2:09:06 PM UTC-5, VAXman- wrote:

> I think it would be wonderful to be able to "compile" a DCL procedure to
> make some sort of executable image.  It could be possible but not without
> control of DCL itself because there's much in the CLI that would need to
> be called upon and it's not easily feasible without that control.

IIRC, there was a third party product which did just that.  Transpiled the DCL
into Fortran, so you had to have the Fortran compiler.  I wonder what
happened to it?  IIRC execution time was vastly improved on most VAXen,
but Alpha may have rendered the market microscopic.

Of course, to be truly universal, it would either have to make object directly
from DCL like a real compiler, or use Macro-32 as the intermediate language.