[Info-vax] 64 bit DCL ?

VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG VAXman- at SendSpamHere.ORG
Sun Jan 18 14:09:04 EST 2015

In article <m9gpcu$bum$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:
>On 2015-01-18 14:50:13 +0000,   VAXman-  @SendSpamHere.ORG said:
>{...snip...}
>
>Look at that debugger you wrote for DCL, and then ask yourself whether
>that was something that most folks would have already expected to be
>available.

I would have and others have as well.  Guy hinted at providing a debugger
but then he was gone, so I picked up where he left off.  I've been asked,
more times than I can count, to debug somebody elses DCL procedures and it
was simplified with my debugger.  Initially, it was crude and only for my
use when such requests to debug code arose but then, when Guy left and the
prospects of seeing a DCL debugger come out of VMS engineering evaporated,
I decided to clean up my debug tools to make a cohesive, all encompassing,
DCL debugger; especially, since I've seen many 100K+ DCL procedures being
written and used.

FWIW, there's no BASH debugger.  What's available is pretty much akin to
the "$ SET VERIFY" crapshoot too.  There is now something at Sourceforge
but I've not taken the time to check it out.  Fault is plentiful in all
of these scripting languages.

>  Look around at the various requires for DCL speed-ups,
>either via JIT or compilation, too.  DCL is bad at debugging and
>compilation because the design never had those in mind.  Look at
>whether it'd be handy to be able to compile in DCL, too — chugging
>along in whatever language, and then be able to invoke a DCL subroutine
>to go do something, and not have to deal with the care and feeding of a
>subprocess.

I think it would be wonderful to be able to "compile" a DCL procedure to
make some sort of executable image.  It could be possible but not without
control of DCL itself because there's much in the CLI that would need to
be called upon and it's not easily feasible without that control.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG