[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk johnwallace4 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 17:47:46 EST 2015

Simon said:
"As computers have become faster and cheaper, the tradeoffs between
program development time and code execution time have changed. "

Back in 1980 or so I remember telling my boss that when the 11/40 was
replaced with an 11/70, it would probably be sensible to consider
whether MACRO11 (with no debugger other than ODT) was actually the
right development tool to use for almost everything we developed. The
boss was actually very understanding (he was a Fortran man anyway).
As F77 hadn't arrived onsite at that point, DECUS RATFOR on top of
RSX/IAS Fortran4Plus filled in, till Whitesmiths C eventually arrived.

So here we are thirty odd years later having a remarkably similar
discussion, albeit with different hardware and software.

This time round I'd perhaps be happy with Python and GNV as major
pieces of the way forward, whilst hoping VSI could do a reasonable
job of not breaking the existing stuff for the next few years, and
maybe making point changes where important (e.g. disk volume sizes?).

Others may have other opinions, which is why the suggestion of
consulting the userbase outside this little enclave (current users?
potential?) is an interesting one.

Have a lot of fun
John