[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

John Reagan xyzzy1959 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 17:53:11 EST 2015

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 4:52:41 PM UTC-5, Simon Clubley wrote:

> Using the traditional approach, the code is not nearly as concise is it
> could be. There's also the overhead of calling the lexical multiple
> times instead of just calling it once and returning an object containing
> all the parsed fields.

Concise <> readable/maintainable

If you want concise, I'll go get APL up and running for you.

And even with fast computers, many of those GETJPI items involve real I/O in the event some things are paged/swapped out (albeit unlikely given today's large memory configurations).

I'd rather not mung up DCL with aggregate returns (don't call them objects please) but rather say you should use Perl or Python for such larger tasks.