[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Mon Jan 19 19:23:08 EST 2015

On 2015-01-19 22:53:11 +0000, John Reagan said:

> I'd rather not mung up DCL with aggregate returns (don't call them
> objects please) but rather say you should use Perl or Python for such
> larger tasks.

Which gets back to looking at how to provide an alternative or a more
modern scripting language than what DCL provides.

So get Perl, Python or Lua into the base distro, and with a decent set
of libraries, and — like what is offered for DCL — allow an easy path
for direct invocation.

With embedding and scripting, where those languages support it, too.

For better or worse, DCL and Macro32 are the common programming
choices, having the benefit of being installed everywhere.