[Info-vax] Eisner's PAKs, was: Re: Can't get hobbyist licenses from Openvmshobbyist

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Tue Jan 20 15:48:51 EST 2015

Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> In article <m9m2cc$7vh$1 at dont-email.me>,
> 	David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>
>>> Nothing anyone does is going to get VMS back into academia.  That
>>> ship has sailed.  It would be unwise to base any decision on the
>>> possiblity of it making a return.  Sorry to rain on your parade.
>> Well, like the title of the movie, "never say never".
>
> Anything is possible in fiction.
>
>> But, I agree with what you're saying.  If it doesn't happen, well, too
>> bad, but not a loss.
>>
>> However, in another post I suggested that buildable sources be made
>> available, with appropriate restrictions.  Now, if VSI made the
>> buildable sources available, and made some pitches to education, such as
>> "teach your students on a commercial OS, not some toy",
>
> What commercial OS?  The only "commercial" oses they know about are
> Windows and Unix/Linux.  Other than VMS, I have been trying to get
> this place interested in joining IBM's educational alliance.  Everybody
> has heard of IBM and yet I have had about the same success I had with VMS.
>
>>                                                          it's not
>> impossible that there might be some takers.
>
> Spoken like someone outside of academia.   :-)
>
> Even given your miracle scenario, who is going to pay the Professors
> to create entirely new curicula using VMS instead of the OS that has
> been used to teach Computer Science for over 4 decades?  Or did you
> think they just stand in the front of the room and talk off the cuff?
> Course development takes a lot of time and effort and there has to be
> a good reason for doing it.  Pushing something as obscure as VMS is
> not likely to meet that criteria.  Let's try sticking to reality.
>
> bill

Nit picking, but 4 decades would be 1975, if I can still do math.  VMS
did not come out until 1978, and at one time was used in education.

Now, maybe not at your school, but, there are many schools, and I cannot
believe that there might not be a VMS bigot somewhere in education that
given a decent chance just might offer a course that is based on VMS.

For you to say that no where on the planet this could happen is a bit
rash, don't you think?