[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Tue Jan 20 21:57:00 EST 2015

johnson.eric at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 3:35:51 PM UTC-5, David Froble wrote:
>
>> I was just showing that some new fangled data type in some new fangled
>> language wasn't much different that what exists in one of the old
>> compiled languages.
>
> Out of curiosity, when's the last time you tried to learn a new programming
> language on its own terms? You know, just for the sake of learning and
> expanding the skill set?
>
> EJ

I've tried looking at C several times.  A disaster.

I've got Python on one of my systems.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, others seem able to do multiple languages.  Apparent I'm the
problem.  I've done Cobol and Fortran in the very distant past.  I've
implemented a database using mostly MACRO-32.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I neither see nor feel the need to
move on to other languages.

Regardless, with a few exceptions, such as what I consider a rather poor
release of SSL on VMS, I have not been convinced that I really need to
abandon what I already know.  Being semi-retired could have something to
do with that.