[Info-vax] [OT] APL (Was: Re: Re: DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI))

Ken Robinson kenrbnsn at rbnsn.com
Wed Jan 21 12:52:06 EST 2015

On 2015-01-21 12:42, Norm Raphael wrote:
>> On 01/21/15, abrsvc<dansabrservices at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >
>> APL is the only languages where it is easier to re-write the code than
>> to debug it. Consise, yes. Short programs. yes. Easy to read and
>> understand, not so much.
>
> I wrote a program once in APL containing as array sort.  It worked, but
> when I looked at it later that day, I could not read the code.
>
>  Norman F. Raphael
> "Everything worthwhile eventually
> degenerates into real work." -Murphy

I had a friend who used APL to write a simulation of the game of Risk
for his Masters Thesis. This was in the early 1970's on either an
IBM/360 or IBM/370.

It was a learning program and after a few weeks, he was unable to beat
the program. He also had to get permission to run the program, since
when it was running nothing else could run on the machine.

I tried learning APL, but could never get the hang of it. I had more
success learning LISP (which isn't saying much!) :)

Ken