[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Wed Jan 21 12:58:04 EST 2015

On 2015-01-21, Bob Koehler <koehler at eisner.nospam.decuserve.org> wrote:
> In article <54bde6b7$0$58715$c3e8da3$88b277c5 at news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot at vaxination.ca> writes:
>>
>> Not quite. History not saved when you don't actually logout (crashed,
>> close xterm window etc) and history not "live" shared between different
>> windows .
>
> All of my shells on UNIX and Mac screw up the history when
> logging from multiple processes at the same time.  You have one
> that doesn't?

Bash on RHEL based systems I have used has always saved session history
from multiple sessions into one .bash_history file without each session
clobbering the other session history (subject to the requested maximum
amount of history to keep).

I've seen people complain about the above clobbering so it must happen,
but I have never seen this.

> It's more prevalent in VMS when using network file access, but on any
> OS beware of history files containing access information that was typed
> on command lines.

Which is why for bash you can (and I do) unset HISTFILE when doing that.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP