[Info-vax] DCL's flaws (both scripting and UI)

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Wed Jan 21 13:49:41 EST 2015

johnson.eric at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 9:52:25 PM UTC-5, David Froble wrote:
>
>> Perhaps part of the problem is that I neither see nor feel the need to
>> move on to other languages.
>>
>> Regardless, with a few exceptions, such as what I consider a rather poor
>> release of SSL on VMS, I have not been convinced that I really need to
>> abandon what I already know.
>
> It's not about abandoning. It's about expanding your horizons and your
> expectations.

I'm 68 1/2 years old.  These days, that 1/2 is significant.

On the days that I can actually convince myself to do something, it's
much more often working on the airplanes than the computers.

> Sometimes you can appreciate home all the more by going
> out and exploring the world.

The airplanes, at least for me, are much better for that.

> It's even easier these days considering the
> near oracle like quality of google. "How do I do X in language Y". Most
> of the time it will take you to the relevant question on stackoverflow!
>
> Darn kids these days, there was a time when you actually had to read
> the manual and people were entitled to expect you to! They don't know
> what they are missing. Or maybe its the other way around. :-)

You got that right.  The DEC documentation could actually teach you some
things.  At least for me, what has replaced it is of much poorer quality.