[Info-vax] free shell accounts?

Stan Radford sradford at noemail.net
Thu Jan 22 01:51:30 EST 2015

On 2015-01-20, Matthew H McKenzie <news.deleteme at swellhunter.org> wrote:
> No issues so far, but it is not a cluster, Deathrow could lose a node and
> still be usable. Of course recompilation was necessary across architectures
> and not everything is 100% portable. They have a log of incidents if you
> wish to look at recent history.

I don't understand what a cluster does. If they don't have shared disks
somewhere wouldn't they have to have multiple copies of everything? How does
a cluster still remain usable if you are editing a file and the machine the
file lives on fails? I can see for serving applications a cluster would be
great but I don't understand how it helps development users. And even that
would seem like it would take a lot of planning and wouldn't just automatically
"work" because of the need for shared storage somewhere.

> Should be OK for generic DCL, COBOL, C etc.  on a "best effort basis".
> Better than emulation at least.

Thanks.

Stan