[Info-vax] free shell accounts?

Stan Radford sradford at noemail.net
Sat Jan 24 15:44:07 EST 2015

On 2015-01-24, Norm Raphael <norman.raphael at verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Glad something is "Great!"
>>
>>Among great things are newsreaders that thread properly so you don't need to
>>quote ;-)
>>
>>This news host rejects posts that are mostly quotation. I haven't figured
>>out their heuristics but I have found when I want to say thanks or
>>acknowledge something it takes much less time to post a one liner or one
>>worder than figure out how many lines I have to trim before the post is
>>accepted. I gave up doing that.
>>
>>If your newsreader threads you can see what was being responded to.
>>
>>Stan
>
>  Well, I am reading from e-mail, so no threading at all (which is why I
> cannot tell to which message you are responding.

Hi Norm,

A good email client can also thread! I have both, so I know. Not sure what
your usenet to email gateway is doing but if it destroys threading it's not
very good. I use mutt for email (mutt.org).

> I'm sorry to see you are on a news host that does not work as you and I
> think it should work; there have been suggestions posted here for
> newsreaders that are better....

News host and news reader are two totally separate things. I have an ok news
host (news.aioe.org) and a superb news reader (www.slrn.org). They're both
free as in beer so I can't complain about the former and have no complaints
about the latter!

As you can see I use a lot of non graphical clients. I'm not very enamored
of most graphical applications when I can find a command line or console equivalent.

> I do not know if you missed that Decusserve (Eisner) is now available again:
>
> EISNER   - VMS  Alpha V8.3 (AlphaServer DS20 500 MHz) 2 cpus
>
> Just SSH to Eisner.Decusserve.Org and sign up for a free account.

I have no idea if this is referring to a news gateway or a VMS shell account
but I suspect the latter. Thanks! I will check it out next week. Sounds like
another "great!" to add to the collection.

Regards,

Stan