[Info-vax] Linux 40 GbE and 100 GbE NIC Performance

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Sat Jan 24 20:36:55 EST 2015

Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2015-01-24 03:59:57 +0000, David Froble said:
>
>> Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>>>
>>> and whether there might be a need to dedicate one or more cores for
>>> the NIC processing?
>>
>> This is an interesting statement.
>>
>> It's been a while since there was "The VAX".  Different world.
>
> Yes, many things are different now.  Some are not.  Dedicating
> processors to tasks is not particularly new, though.  There were VAX
> processors embedded on some DEC Ethernet boards, and in a few printers.
> There were dedicated CPUs on some Q-bus boards.   There were boards that
> depended entirely on the host VAX, too.  Intel is now aiming Xeon at
> embedded systems, with some changes mentioned below, too.  Dedicating a
> processor to a task or to a device withi  a VMS SMP configuration has
> been possible for a while, too.

I wasn't thinking "dedicated" from a HW perspective, rather more like
Galaxy, where the OS or something could automatically or be set to
assign cores to specific tasks.  Could be a lot of flexibility with
something like that.

Some people might be doing no network activity, and, some people might
be doing mostly network activity.