[Info-vax] Linux 40 GbE and 100 GbE NIC Performance

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun Jan 25 12:17:01 EST 2015

On 2015-01-25 01:36:55 +0000, David Froble said:

> I wasn't thinking "dedicated" from a HW perspective, rather more like
> Galaxy, where the OS or something could automatically or be set to
> assign cores to specific tasks.  Could be a lot of flexibility with
> something like that.

FWIW, the dedicated lock manager has been available for many years.
That was because the lock manager was — under heavy load, in some
configurations — thrashing the system and particularly the caches.
With a dedicated core, those problems are largely mitigated, up until
the capacity of the dedicated core is exceeded.

For related details for applications that might wish to dedicate cores,
see the OpenVMS class scheduler support documentation.

These are some of the issues that can arise with SMP scaling, and with
cluster scaling.   Keeping the caches coherent adds overhead to the
design, but folks using in an OpenVMS-style SMP box expect their caches
to work; to remain coherent.  The Alpha architecture caused enough
consternation with its comparatively loose write ordering expectations,
for that matter.  The x86 write-ordering is rather more strict.

> Some people might be doing no network activity, and, some people might
> be doing mostly network activity.

That doesn't begin to describe how far apart different applications
are.  Some OpenVMS configurations with SMP and applications, and some
combination of clustering and/or network activity and/or I/O loading
will work fine at 16 and variously 32 cores, and some other
applications will run into the proverbial wall at eight or twelve
cores, or some even with even a second core.