[Info-vax] free shell accounts?

Henry Crun mike at rechtman.com
Sat Jan 24 22:22:05 EST 2015

On 24/01/15 21:54, Stan Radford wrote:
> I accidentally replied to posts from two different people at once.

<snip>
> I have enough boxes to run emulation on but that
> usually ruins the enjoyment for me. If I like VMS as a developer I'll just
> use a shell account until VSI puts out a free VMS that runs on Intel or I
> can scrounge a VMS capable box whichever comes first, realizing it's quite
> possible neither will ever happen.
<snip>
> Stan

I recently (some months ago) started as a VMS sysadmin on some systems that used
to run on real alphas, and now run on Charon emulation. I know and do nothing
about the underlying Wintel hardware, but the users (a few thousand) are
impressed by the emulators speed gains. And I see nothing "lower" than VMS.
Disk sizes and CPUs are configurable at the wintel level - once set, then forgotten.
There are a few free, personal emulators out there. I suggest you do not reject
them out of hand.

--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/