[Info-vax] mail puzzle (I know the answer)

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Sun Jan 25 12:15:46 EST 2015

On 2015-01-25 15:22:31 +0000, Jan-Erik Soderholm said:

> Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) skrev den 2015-01-25 16:00:
>> Say you want incoming SMTP mail to user FOO to go to both user FOO and
>> to some other (internal or external, i.e. via SMTP or not) address.  The
>> way NOT to do it is to create TCPIP$SMTP_COMMON:FOO.DIS and put FOO
>> inside it, since this will result in an infinite loop.  There is a
>> workaround, though.
>
> I would use DELIVER.

I'd probably direct the messages and the forwarding to a more capable
mail server, and preferably one with LDAP integration, but yes, DELIVER
would work for folks obligated to use the TCP/IP Services SMTP server
and its accoutrements.

Phillip is fishing around for folks that remember the underscore prefix
syntax that can be used within Mail and also used in OpenVMS device
names and logical names — which was the origin of this behavior in Mail
forwarding.  That forwarding can (also) be implemented with logical
names. [1]

This syntax a half-baked logical name translation bypass scheme that
originated in antiquity and well before the V4.0 overhaul of logical
names.  This archaic leading-underscore syntax was intended to allow
the specification of "uninterceptable" device names, and which now
doesn't work the way that folks might expect, if they knew the old
behavior.  Why does this not work the way it was originally intended?
Because you can now define a logical name with a leading underscore,
and that does get translated, and in preference to the underscore
removal and its translation.  When this changed behavior of the leading
underscore first appeared at V4.0, there were folks around that thought
that the underscore still meant there will be no translations, like it
once did.

Yes, I still occasionally (rarely) use it, as you can specify it in
Mail when you're sending Mail.  This was and sometimes is useful when
somebody had broken forwarding.  But then some of us defined Mail
forwarding for the underscore user, too.

Do I win the Kewpie?

[1] You can also use VMS Mail to probe the logical names on an OpenVMS
system, by sending mail messages to known logical names.  You'll
usually get a bounce message with the translation.  Fun tool, VMS mail.
  There's also a story or two with some rather humorous shenanigans
involving this handling from back in the DEC and DECnet networking
days, but that's fodder for another time.