[Info-vax] mail puzzle (I know the answer)

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Sun Jan 25 17:15:31 EST 2015

In article <ma38b5$rq$1 at dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman
<seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:

> Phillip is fishing around for folks that remember the underscore prefix
> syntax that can be used within Mail

Right.

> Yes, I still occasionally (rarely) use it, as you can specify it in
> Mail when you're sending Mail.  This was and sometimes is useful when
> somebody had broken forwarding.  But then some of us defined Mail
> forwarding for the underscore user, too.
>
> Do I win the Kewpie?

Definitely.

I didn't realize that its origin lay in the logical-name part of VMS.

So, just create TCPIP$SMTP_COMMON:FOO.DIS which contains _FOO and any
other addresses.  Side effect (probably; haven't tested): If user FOO
has FORWARD set, then it will no longer work, at least for SMTP mail.

Yes, it's a kludge.  However, it does exactly what I want and is quick
to set up.